In honor of Super Bowl Sunday and former foster child Michael Oher (of the movie The Blind Side fame playing in it. YAY!!!) here is a great dip and a fab dessert to serve to your family or guests:
Hot Pizza Dip (from Taste of Home)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- tortilla chips or breadsticks
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder; spread on the bottom of a greased 9-in. pie plate. Combine cheeses; sprinkle half over the cream cheese layer. Top with the pizza sauce and peppers. Sprinkle with the remaining cheeses.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Serve warm with tortilla chips or breadsticks. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Sugar cookie dough (homemade, box mix or refrigerator roll)
2 8-ounce blocks cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla or almond extract
Whole or sliced fresh fruit: kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, nectarines, mandarin oranges
Spread cookie dough on an ungreased pizza pan and bake at 375 degrees just until no longer doughy (about 10-12 minutes or more.) Cool. Mix cream cheese, butter, sugar and extract until smooth. Spread on crust and top with fruit. Spoon a few tablespoons of apple jelly in a bowl and microwave for 10-20 seconds. Stir and lightly brush on fruit. Serve chilled.