Welcome to those who have clicked your way over after reading my Proverbs 31 Ministries devotion, Build Bridges Not Fences… (If you haven’t read it yet, click here to do so.)
Life is a voyage packed with choices. As a new school year begins, prayerfully supporting other mothers’ schooling choices is a way to show unconditional love.
Here are some tips for building bridges rather than fences in the schooling choice arena:
- Offer verbal support. Just saying, “I hear you are homeschooling” (or sending a child to traditional school). “I’ll be praying your kids have a great year.” can be powerful.
- Be interested. Don’t let awkward silence cause tension when the topic of school is bought up. Ask them about their kids’ teachers. Inquire about their homeschool activities. Be interested in their children’s educational lives and love them regardless of their choice.
- Pray. Find out any prayer requests they have and then pray. Knowing my public school friends were praying for my homeschooled children was powerful. They felt the same about the reverse.
- Praise them for working together with their husband to find a solution. Some moms who want to homeschool have husbands who do not. If you have a friend in that situation, tell them you admire their desire to honor their husband’s wishes. The same goes for the opposite situation.
- Offer to help out. If you homeschool, can you offer to be the emergency contact for a friend who has her kids in public school? If you have kids in public school but have expertise in an academic area, can you offer to be the guest speaker at your friend’s child’s homeschool co-op? Collaborate to help each other’s kids in their educational setting.
- Show up. Your friend’s kids have a public school science fair? Or a homeschool basketball game? Show up. Take your kids. Cheer. Applaud. Support. Your presence will be a powerful encouragement.
And now for…..
GIVEAWAY ENDED: CONGRATS RACHEL, WHO COMMENTED august 21, 2017 at 8:20 pm. PLEASE CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR DETAILS.
To celebrate the back-to-school season, I’m giving away all these books for moms to one lucky mom! To enter, comment below which one of the tips above you’ll be using to support another mother’s schooling choices this year. OR we’d love to hear any tips you might add in the comments as well.
I’ll draw a winner on Monday, August 28, and update this post with the winner’s name and email you. U.S. Addresses only please.
Pressing Pause: 100 Quiet Moments for Moms to Meet with Jesus by Karen Ehman and Ruth Schwenk
Hoodwinked: Ten Myths Moms Believe and Why We All Need To Knock It Off by Karen Ehman and Ruth Schwenk
Gospel Centered Mom by Brooke McGlothlin
Hope Unfolding: Grace-Filled Truth for the Momma’s Heart by Becky Thompson
Ok, leave your comment to be entered to win!